The Weekend Guide : Newport & Narragansett, RI

6.18.2012


Who doesn't love seaside towns.. They're chill, laid-back, and have their own culture of nautical inspired designs and fashion. Narragansett and Newport, Rhode Island (the sailing capital of the world) are only a 3 hour drive from Manhattan and two to three days gives you just enough time to sail, see, shop, drink and be merry. Here's a quick bucket list....


WHAT TO SEE / DO:

• Pick seashells along the seashore at the point Judith lighthouse.



• Drive or bike along Bellevue Ave. for some mansion gawking. (Skip the paid tours, you can walk the grounds for free)



• Go sailing then chillax at one of Newport's adjacent wharfs for drinks. 



• Head for nearby Easton or Scarborough beaches .



• Take a stroll through the Green Animals Topiary Garden in Portsmouth followed by some lazing on the front porch. 



• Meander the Cliff Walk just before sunset for the beautiful ocean panoramas



Where to Eat: 
In Newport, the kitschy Red Parrot for lunch and swanky Forty1 North for dinner. 
In Narragansett, Turtle Soup Restaurant for their seaside view (order the walnut encrusted salmon, below) or for a 'side of the road' stint, stop at Aunt Carrie's for lunch and have an ice cream for dessert from their shop across the street. 



Where to Shop:
The boutiques on Thames St. in Newport with stops at Pink Pineapple and Sequin.


JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK  /  TWITTER  /  BLOGLOVIN'

10 comments:

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

Elephants and pink sea shells!?! Yes please!

SeƱorita said...

Oh, I love Newport!! What a nice little road trip (especially with this great weather we have been having these past couple of days)..

I went there a couple of summers ago and I remember not being initially excited about going. Wow, was I wrong... I really loved the seaside feel of Newport. Yet, I really liked were the mansions. Impressive. Can you imagine living there in those days, going to all those fancy parties?? It would have been amazing...

http://www.ladyonaroof.com/

Ana Carneiro said...

wow to those photos! Loving them, so bright and colorful, really wish my weekend had been like that! The food looks delicious, the shops are really sweet and I wish I could wander around those mansions!!!
My Own Project

Dora said...

I really feel like a need a vacation after reading this post :) Beautiful pictures

Nathalia said...

Lorena, beautiful picture! definitivamente un lugar para conocer :)
Un saludo,
Nathalia


Viaggio Della Farfalla
The Key Item

Selene said...

amazing post! i always love your photos!

Cliff Tuna said...

Hello there!

My name is Cliff and I'm holding The Sartorialist book by Scott Schuman giveaway right now. I'm so happy that I'm here to officially invite you to join the giveaway, it's open internationally. I'm so excited that you have the chance to win. Thank you so much for your time! :) Click HERE for the giveaway!

Alex said...

I've always wanted to visit Newport and gawk at the mansions!

Anonymous said...

Newport is good, Narrangasett is even better! But whatever you do, just make sure not to fall for the mansion tours!! You've been warned.

Lorena said...

haha @anonymous! exactly why i said drive by..don't bother stopping, lol..

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...