Mayan Highlands : July Feature for Vecu Magazine

7.05.2011


I covered the mysterious land of the Mayans in Guatemala for Vécu's Practical Magic issue. Here's a look at my feature for July.

" There's a certain air in the land of the Mayans in Guatemala. It's like centuries of wisdom, knowledge and sorcery float about, mingling freely with modern day Christian beliefs. Every pattern on their clothes means something, and every now and then, you can actually feel the earth shake. From the colonial streets of Antigua, with it's not so distant volcanoes to the colorful highlands of Chichicastenango to the famous Lake Atitlan - the magic was ever-looming. I went so far as to visit a seer, he spoke mostly Mayan. On my way out, I spotted a high priest walking by with the tell-tale clothing and spear in hand, and dozens of others paying their respects to the gods and past loved ones by burning incense in front of the churches. I'll tell you, it was definitely something to not only be able to see, but also experience the way of the Maya. "



JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK   /   FOLLOW ON TWITTER



16 comments:

Mariel Torres said...

darling, you seriously have the BEST job in the world ;)

kisses,
Mariel

Murissa Maurice said...

I saw your great photos in the magazine! I was published in this issue as well and I definitely celebrated my first food article for Vecu Magazine!

The Wanderfull Traveler

VLM. said...

All these images are absolutely breathtaking, especially the first one! xoxo, Veena <3

http://seven-inch-stilettos.blogspot.com

Janice's footsteps said...

I love the mask photos you are so beautifully blessed :))

Roberta said...

WOW!!! Amazing photos!! I can't wait to see a new post! ;)


http://traveloguewithlove.blogspot.com/

Andrea Reh said...

I am so incredibly jealous of your job.

Andrea x

ChasingtheCrayon said...

Hi
Thank you for your comment on my blog. The magazine looks amazing, your photos are brilliant, they really tell the story. Very pleased to have discovered you and your work!

Fabrizia said...

Wow, this photos are fantastic, i really appreciate them!
Come back soon, I'll be waiting for you!!

http://cosamimetto.blogspot.com/

Sandra said...

Congratulations! :)

Catita said...

I am dying to go once to central America and looking at those beautiful pictures makes me even want to go more! But at least we have a 3 weeks holiday plan to Colombia in November, can't wait ;)
CAtita

Saba said...

Hey!! you deserve the one lovely blog award! check out my blog to see how :)

Titine and totoche said...

Hello Lorena!!
Que bellas están las fotos. Are the pictures actually from the capital city or from another city??

Saludos!

{COZAMIA} said...

Wow, what an amazing experience. Great article and as usual LOVE the visuals that go along!! I have so much catching up to do here :)

LORENA said...

@ Titine - The pics are actually from Antigua and the highlands of Chichicastenango!

Thanks everyone!

Marjorie Rose said...

It's vibrant and magical at the same time..

Villa Bisono said...

Lorena, this is a great feature. I think Guatemala as a whole is a magical place with so many customs, history and amazing people. I am so glad you convinced me to go out there. Thanks a million!!!!!!

xoxo

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...